Monday, November 10, 2008

All I really need to know I learned at Fenway Park

For those who don't know me personally, I grew up on the South Shore of Massachusetts (near Plymouth). My family has only been in that area for about 350 years, but it's been long enough that we picked up certain Bostonian characteristics -- like a love of the Red Sox. Since I now live in upstate NY, this runs me into occasional light-hearted conflict with the local Yankees fans. It is regarding one of them (L) that I write today.

Some time ago I received from my sister two tickets to a regular-season game at Fenway Park. For those of you not familiar with what that means, these things are *gold*. Thanks to the scalpers, you just can't buy them without divine intervention (or perhaps a second mortgage on your house). Since L is a good friend of mine, I invited him to join me for the trip.

When we arrived at the family abode, he was greeted by my parents (both Sox fans) and my aunt (a true die-hard, I hope her heart holds out now that Manny is gone). We all had our Sox gear, and L had enough sense to leave his NYY hat at home. L was welcomed in and treated as part of the family.

Our seats were on the 3rd base side, quite a way up, but still, we were IN. It was great. We sat between two guys who discussed fervently whether or not Tek needed a day off, and a woman with whom I attempted to determine who was warming up in the bullpen based on his delivery. Everyone was polite and clearly knowledgeable. And everyone had passion.

When our day was done (the Sox lost), and we began the long drive home, L said something to me that I never thought I'd hear -- that he was thinking of becoming a Sox fan because of our this trip. Certainly the metaphor of Fenway as a temple of baseball is overused, but it got me thinking about this situation as it applies to evangelism.

  • Every Sox fan he met was willing to be known as a Sox fan. We love our team.
  • We fans don't just carry empty passion for the Sox, we know what we love, and why.
  • Every fan L met was kind towards him -- something he had never experienced in the Bronx.

We Evangelical Christians want people to become believers, and study books, tapes, and seminars to try to learn how. Maybe all we need to do is know whom we love, and why, and live in love towards other people. When someone does that to you, it's only natural to say "I want to be like that guy."