Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Christian Nationalism

It's Veteran's Day here in the US, a day to remind ourselves of the price paid by the many members of our armed forces. He's Canadian, and I'm a US citizen, but I think that Illiad said it far better than I could in his cartoon. The next time you're in an airport and happen to see a soldier, sailor, airman, or marine waiting for a flight, I suggest you shake his or her hand and say "Thank You." From what I can tell, it's the least we can do.


Having said that, and recognizing the incredible price that these men and women have been willing to pay for my nation, I must admit that I find the whole concept of Christian nationalism somewhat troubling. I have a lot to say about the baggage we often pile onto the gospel, and by grace I hope to do so. For now, let me just say this: the gospel is not an American construct. The gospel isn't even a Western idea. It's God's idea.


Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to be an American. I also believe that Christians should be committed citizens of whatever nation they live in. I must remind you, however, that in the grand scheme of things, this nation (and indeed the whole earth) will pass away. We hold dual-citizenship with a kingdom that will never fail.

1 comment:

Faith said...

I'm sure looking forward to that Kingdom!!