Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Three Circles

A friend asked me to clarify the difference between essentials, convictions, and preferences, which I will attempt to do here. First, a picture to cover my first thousand words of explanation:
These circles represent three different categories of personal opinion. Since I have previously defined convictions as requiring grace from us, I should probably clarify how I decide what those things are.

  1. If the issue is necessary for salvation, it's essential. The question I would ask is, "Can someone not believe this and still go to heaven?" If not, it's essential.

  2. If the issue is related to doctrine, it's a conviction. The question I would ask is, "Can I legitimately say I don't care, and still base my beliefs on the Bible?" If not, it's a conviction.

  3. Other opinions are preferences by default.

An example of an essential would be the divinity of Jesus. An example of a conviction would be the role of women in the church. An example of a preference would be styles of music to use in worship. Even though most believers would, I think, agree with the examples I have just given, there will certainly be differences of opinion on which issues fall into which circles, especially when dividing between convictions and preferences.
Differences between believers can be sustained, however, if we hold an attitude of grace towards one another. I am bold enough to believe that I am correct in my beliefs, but not so arrogant as to believe that I can't be wrong. Recognizing this fact, I depend on the grace of God to cover my human limitations. If I am unwilling to show the same grace to others, I find myself a wicked servant; and that is one prospect that terrifies me.

3 comments:

Faith said...

good explanation my love!
And that is just exactly why I LOVE Grace Fellowship..they get the grace thing!!!!!
and they certainly understand the 3 circles.....PTL for Pastor Rex....

Live As If said...

funny, i always thought your "terrible fear" was waking up to find yourself a Yankees fan ...

papidave said...

I am not one who tends to fear something that isn't possible. And there is no chance of my ever becoming a Yankees fan. :)