Sunday, November 9, 2008

On the Nature of Truth

Ah, irony. It would appear that one man's philosophy is another man's spam, as I have somehow been identified as a spam blogger before I even managed to write my first blog entry. How's that for efficiency? In any event, it segues nicely into a discussion of the question raised by Pontius Pilate at Christ's arraignment, namely, "What is Truth?"
( John 18:38 )

As an engineer, I'm expected to deal regularly with scientific truth -- where the question is what can happen. People measure scientific truth by testing it. That is, we test the implications made by a theory, and if we can reproduce the predicted results, we say that the theory holds.

If we assume, however, that all truth is scientific in nature, we miss the point. History, for example, is not reproducible -- instead of being interested in what can happen, it is more interested in what did happen. This difference in orientation is only a problem when we attempt to use the scientific method to prove a historical event.

When I get a few moments, I hope to discuss this difference both as it applies to biblical history and the origins of the universe.

1 comment:

Faith said...

Welcome to the blogosphere my love.
However, your posts might be a bit too "deep" for me! LOL
BTW...did you vote on my poll? If not, someone else is eating at Plimoth and is a blog visitor!